PDA

View Full Version : Wierd MySQL issue

GaryP
08-15-2008, 01:53 PM
We've just upgraded from v7 to v8.0.0.3 and there's something wierd happening to our internal linux ds-client. Other backups work fine but all the MySQL ones are borked. I'm getting the error: "Version mismatch between dump program and remote database: dump program version: 5.0.45, remote database version: 5.0.32" on each one. On v7 I was backing up 3 different DB servers each running a different OS and different versions of MySQL (one as old as 4.1.21) without complaint. Now Asigra is crapping out on me if the point release numbers don't match between the local and remote server? WTF?

mvarre
08-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Same exact thing happened to me when I moved from 7.x to 8.x two weeks ago. I just used it as motivation to get all my patches up to date on all my sql servers.

I completely agree that in 7.x i never had the problem with version mismatches. As far as I'm concerned, using the newest mysqldump to dump a db from a same.xx.xx should work just fine. I can understand if there are problems dumping a 4.x db with mysqldump 5.x (even though i never had problems with this before, but dumping a db that is 5.1x with mysqldump 5.2x should be no problem at all.

I'd be curious to hear what Asigra has to say about this.

mvarre
08-15-2008, 02:25 PM
I see the following from the User Guide:

DS-Client Computer Requirements
1. DS-Client backs up MySQL Server using the MySQL utilities ?mysqldump? and ?mysql?.
The DS-Client?s mysqldump and mysql utilities must be compatible with the MySQL
version running on the source machine (MySQL server).
2. The following requirements depend on the type of DS-Client you are using:
? Windows DS-Client: The mysql utility must be listed in the PATH
environment variable of the DS-Client computer. (If you must edit this
variable, stop and restart the DS-Client service after making the change.)
? Linux DS-Client: The mysql utility must be listed in the PATH environment
variable of user ?root? on the DS-Client computer.
? Mac DS-Client: The path to the mysql utility must be added to the following
file on the DS-Client computer:
/etc/rc.common

That being said, from a purely MySQL perspective I cant see how there are any incompatibilities between 5.0.45 dump with a 5.0.32 db. I wonder if the DSC is simply being overzealous?

GaryP
08-15-2008, 04:45 PM
mysql & mysqldump are in the path, and whats more I can use mysqldump from the command line to dump the database without any problems or complaints, so it's not a MySQL issue. It looks like Asigra is getting fussy in it's old age. I suppose I'll be burning another support ticket then..... :cry:

mvarre
05-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Hey Gary - interestingly i just had this issue with my newly upgraded 9.0 DS-Client - Googled "version mismatch between dump program and remote database" and Asigraforums.com came up as the only result :)

[insert warm and fuzzy feeling]

So were you able to identify what the cause/fix for this was or is it purely an issue with mysql version being off - which frankly wont ever be fixed in my environment.

any insight is helpful - thanks!

GaryP
05-04-2009, 03:51 PM
It's just a warning generated by mysqldump that Asigra then re-reports as an error. We're just about to roll out V9, and I think there's a new function to allow administrators recategorise it as a warning.

mvarre
05-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Sorry - ya it is a warning. Sucks that it has to keep coming up each time a backup runs.